Friday, February 4, 2011

10



Anderson is now into the double digits. Big stuff.

Here are some not-so-exciting firsts:
  • Illness. He got his first and second cold this month. Illness has been a bummer in the new year for our family of three. Someone in our family has been sick since Christmas. I think we are on the mend. . .
  • Temper Tantrums. Anderson has started doing mild temper tantrums. He will flop backwards, usually hitting his head on the ground and crying hysterically when something doesn't go his way. We are usually taking away something he can't have. I hate object permanence.
Exciting Advancements:
  • Friends. Anderson and I spent a weekend in Sacramento with a group of 13 women, Joey and Bear. He was an awesome traveller, even driving up to Portland to fly down to Sacramento. Anderson's Great Auntie Jo got to snuggle him before she took us to the airport. And, to my joy, Anderson slept the entire drive up and did very well on the flight. Here is the most recent photo of Anderson, Joey and Bear. Anderson could not help but attack Joey. Not sure why. . . but it was pretty funny. Bear awkwardly looked away so as not to choose sides. Good move, Bear.
  • "Cruising." Anderson is shuffling along the coffee table, couch and ottomans. We just bought a little walker for him, so he can walk around the house. He is definitely interested in walking now, and it's a bit scary. . .
  • "Blah." He is talking a lot these days. It mostly sounds like "blah, blah, blah," which also sometimes sounds like he is making fun of us talking. . . Every now and again it sounds like "Mama."
  • Food. Although nothing brings him as much joy as the crackle of the Cheerios bag, Anderson is also enjoying feeding himself ultra-steamed carrots, peas, and tofu.
  • Two more teeth. Our little teething freak has been holding steady with six teeth for a while, but now he has two more bottom teeth coming in to make it eight.
  • Playing. He loves his toys these days. Some of his favorite games are "Destruction"--this is when I put a bunch of toys on our coffee table or ottoman and he mechanically (but not methodically) knocks them all off. Eugene has had a delightfully dry winter, and Anderson has taken to swinging at our local park. We joined an indoor playground co-op that has been a lot of fun for Anderson to crawl around in (and fun for me to take him to a completely baby-proofed environment), and Anderson loves the cars and trains there.
  • Signing. We have been showing him how to sign and just this week Anderson started signing "more" with his cute little hands.
Mixed Advancements
  • The Arm Reach. He does this mostly cute thing wear he stretches out his hand as far as he can to demonstrate he wants (to him needs) something. So it's pretty cute when he reaching for us or the swing at the park. It is less cute when he reaches for things likes knives. . .then he gets pretty upset that his tense arms won't magically bring him the desired item.
  • Mom-a-holic. The "attached" stage has arrived. He watches my every move and gets upset when he is not with me. Leaving him is getting harder and harder. However, when I come home there is nothing like his speedy crawl right to my feet and cuddle once he's in my arms.
Ready for a walk in his "Rocky Balboa" outfit.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Anderson,

    thanks for trying to beat up Joey last time we were all together. I've been wanting to do that for a long time now, but my mom told me she'll make me sleep in the car seat over night if I touch him. Plus, he's bigger than I am, but I think I could take him. Can't wait to see you throw a tantrum sometime soon.
    love, Bear

    ReplyDelete